So it’s about that time of the month where Google deems it appropriate to run a data refresh on their Panda update – weeding the SERPS, freeing it from miscreants and sites that were MFA.
It may be too early to tell but looking over my current portfolio of sites, there doesn’t seem to be much of a change in either direction. The recent shift to white hat strategies on my new affiliate properties has paid off. Although confusingly a slightly less than white hat strategy one a new property that was run as an experiment seems to have benefited from this latest update.
I’ll post an update in 24 hours when the SERPS stabilise with some further insight into the strategy or whether it was just the usual calm before the storm. Unless Google is indeed missing a trick.
What Does Google Have To Say?
New data refresh of Panda starts rolling out tonight. ~1% of search results change enough to notice. More context: goo.gl/huekf
— A Googler (@google) July 24, 2012
When looking at a Panda refresh make sure you heed their advice:
- Is your content of a good quality?
- Are you duplicating your content?
- Would you trust handing over your credit card details to the site in question?
What About Guest Posts?
Assuming you’ve been engaging in best practice and are not engaging in what I like to call “Article Marketing 2.0″ then you should be largely unaffected. Good quality links from high quality sites are always in demand.
If your guest posting strategy falls afoul of any of the following then you’re doing it wrong…
- Is the content mass-produced by or outsourced to a large number of creators, or spread across a large network of sites, so that individual pages or sites don’t get as much attention or care?
- Was the article edited well, or does it appear sloppy or hastily produced?
- Does this article contain insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond obvious?
- Would you expect to see this article in a printed magazine, encyclopedia or book?
Update: 26th July 2012
I can confirm that none of my sites were hit and the majority actually increase in organic visibility. The site that stood out the most was the one which had been engaging in Web 2.0. Nothing particularly grey but a few portal sites seemed to have increased the visibility substantially.
Guest posting is alive and well for the time being… let’s wait for the next Penguin update!
That’s it from me, were you hit by the latest refresh and want some impartial advice? Post below and I’ll see what I can do!